Nimblebrain Forums - Not logged in
Forum Help Search Chat Register Login
Previous Next Up Topic Cosmology / Alternative Cosmology / R.I.P. Tom Van Flandern (2228 hits)
By Jade Annand Date 2009-01-16 06:21
Tom van Flandern passed away quite recently.

From the obituary:

Tuesday, January 13, 2009 - For immediate release

Sequim, Wa – Noted astronomer Thomas C Van Flandern succumbed to colon cancer on January 9, 2009.  He graduated from Xavier University in 1962, briefly attended Georgetown University in 1963 and received his PhD in astronomy from Yale in 1969, specializing in celestial mechanics. Dr. Van Flandern's early work is well regarded within his field, but he was more broadly (and controversially) known for his later scientific contributions.

The rest of the obituary can be read at the link.

As someone also said of Hoyle, he was an interesting man, even when he was wrong.

There is a thread over on the Metaresearch forums where Tom's son, Mike Van Flandern, tracks Tom's illness. I highly suggest reading it. Tom's circumstances were very dire when he was first admitted to care; I'm glad his family had just that little bit of extra time with him.

Condolences can be left on this thread. Mike Van Flandern has also left some contact information for those with questions.
By Ari Jokimäki Date 2009-01-17 06:38
I'm sorry to hear that. :(
Previous Next Up Topic Cosmology / Alternative Cosmology / R.I.P. Tom Van Flandern (2228 hits)