Nimblebrain Forums - Not logged in
Forum Help Search Chat Register Login
Previous Next Up Topic Cosmology / Alternative Cosmology / The Fifth Column (2571 hits)
By Mike Petersen Date 2009-03-27 13:17
Those of you familiar with the term The Fifth Column will see why I apply it to this incredible article.  I have to say, the ideas put forth in it make me think that Mainstreamers have plain and simply lost it. 

Essentially they are postulating the possibility of the existence of a hypothetical fifth force to support hypothetical dark matter.  Let's see...I think I'll hire the 6-ft. rabbit's twin to help me find the 6-ft. rabbit. 

My God....

http://www.physorg.com/news157292373.html

What do you think of all this claptrap?

- Mike
By Jade Annand Date 2009-03-28 00:36
That link wasn't working yesterday when I went to check on it, but I checked on it now... and...

Holy crap is that ever maddening. Can't detect what you want? Well, here's yet another term come to cancel it out!

Ockham's Razor melted.

It was the "forces of convenience" that so offended me when inflationary theory was first introduced... and then accepted. I would have relented if all other observations lined up with but the modicum of tweaking that correct theories get as more facts come in, but it never happened. Then we got dark matter. Then we got dark freaking energy.

That fifth force is nothing but another goddamned fudge factor, of which there are already far, far too many.

I was going to say that I'd slap somebody if this got any uptake and acceptance in mainstream theory but, quite frankly, bring it on... the nuttier, the better at this point, really.
By David Russell Date 2009-04-07 03:35
Funny how the mainstream can propose dark this and dark that; fifth forces ... but Arp is a "crackpot" for suggesting intrinsic redshifts to explain galaxy-quasar associations.   One thing is for sure - none of this dark stuff is shedding much light on the actual nature of the universe if it can't actually be detected.
Previous Next Up Topic Cosmology / Alternative Cosmology / The Fifth Column (2571 hits)