Nimblebrain Forums - Not logged in
Forum Help Search Chat Register Login
Previous Next Up Topic Cosmology / Alternative Cosmology / intrinsic redshifts (5266 hits)
By lyndonashmore Date 2011-06-18 20:56
Hi someone posted on my board about Halton Arps Book 'seeing red' and, apart from the good stuff on peculiar redshifts of galaxies I was reminded about his prediction of intrinsic redshifts in quasars,
If, the huge redshifts of quasars is intrinsic then there should be no quasars with low redshift - IMV.
But there are.
I did a review of the literature and there are redshifts lower than 0.01.http://articles.adsabs.harvard.edu/cgi-bin/nph-iarticle_query?2009ASPC..413....3A&data_type=PDF_HIGH&whole_paper=YES&type=PRINTER&filetype=.pdf

So does this mean any intrinsic redshift must be less than 0.01? and thus quasars are at big redshifts?
just a thought
lyndon
By Mike Petersen Date 2011-06-19 02:12
I have this book.

Halton's theory is that high redshift quasars are ejected from AGN's.  He states that the high redshift is an indicator of age, and that redshift decreases with age.

I guess it's possible that there could be some older quasars that have had their "age-related" redshift portion reduced, but the main thrust of his theory, it's true, is that most quasars have a high intrinsic redshift.

I haven't heard much from Halton lately.  Is he retired now?

Regards,
Mike Petersen
By David Russell Date 2011-06-19 13:02
Lyndon,

One thing is not clear to me on with this.  The lyman alpha forest was the topic of your paper in this case.   It is known that the Ly-alpha lines are at lower redshifts than the QSO and this is one of the arguments that the mainstream makes in favor of QSO's being at cosmological distances.  You mentioned the lower z lines in that paper, but you did not mention the qso's being at those low redshifts.  There are a few low z QSO's - the lowest being around z=0.08.   I don't fully trust the SDSS classifications - the samples are too large to visually inspect each spectrum and so we end up relying on data reduction programs rather than having a sanity check by a person.
By Mike Petersen Date 2011-06-19 20:17
Lyndon,

Why not check out this paper from Arp, et al, that outlines his theories nicely.

Intrinsic Redshifts in Quasars and Galaxies

Regards,
Mike Petersen
By David Russell Date 2011-07-11 20:06
Lyndon, I have to agree with you about the SDSS spectra.   I do not believe Arp would expect there should be QSO's with local redshifts and these objects likely are something else or the SDSS spectra are mis-identified.  By the time a quasar has evolved to a low redshift value it should be a normal galaxy in Arp's model.

That is a big problem with the huge compilations of data.  Each data point could benefit from independent visual inspection by a qualified person.  I see it with the Tully-Fisher data I use.  You find galaxies that have reported inclinations grossly inconsistent with what can be estimated from a visual inspection of the images.  This needs to become a standard part of all analysis - visual inspection of images and individual spectra.

Dave
By David Russell Date 2011-07-11 20:07
Hi Mike,

Arp is retired now and his health is not what it was.  He has been diagnosed with Parkinsons and did recently spend an extended time in the hospital.  I do not know how bad his condition is, but he was unable to attend the NPA conference for which he was awarded the Sagnac award.

Dave
By Mike Petersen Date 2011-07-12 10:59
Hi, Dave...

Thanks for the update on Dr. Arp. 

It was good to see a photo of you.  Nice to fit a face to a name.  You can see a photo of me at my website, The Open File.

Regards,
Mike
Previous Next Up Topic Cosmology / Alternative Cosmology / intrinsic redshifts (5266 hits)