Nimblebrain Forums - Not logged in
Forum Help Search Chat Register Login
Previous Next Up Topic Cosmology / Alternative Cosmology / Arp (3380 hits)
By nickoftime Date 2014-02-05 20:17
Sad news about the death of Halton Arp. A good obituary can be found here:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obituaries/science-obituaries/10598040/Halton-Arp-obituary.html

I found the UK's 'Astronomy Now' magazine wasn't quite so well balanced in its covering of this.
By Mike Petersen Date 2014-02-06 12:54
I have all of Halton's books.  I knew this day was coming, but it's sad nonetheless.

RIP, Halton.
By Jade Annand Date 2014-02-07 06:47
I hadn't heard that at all; thanks, Nick. I suppose at 86, it should no longer be a surprise. Keep an eye out for any tributes or comments by fellow scientists; I'd be interested to hear what people have to say.

That was a pretty nice piece in the Telegraph*; nice of them to see things from his point of view with a bit of background, too. I do like the unattributed quote near the bottom:

The article said:

One former colleague has been quoted as saying that when he died Arp “took a whole cosmology with him”

It does feel like a thread has been broken.

For my part, I wish he had reached out to his supporters a little more; we'd have a better sense of continuity and what challenges he thought laid ahead.

Who would know what was on his plate near the end? Burbridge? Narlikar? Someone at the Max-Planck Institute?

(*Though I wish they would stop using the "only a theory" line - of course, we will opine that it is not on the same level as Germ Theory or Evolutionary Theory, Big Bang Theory can count as a theory, just a bit more post hoc and less predictive than other theories, and to our minds, has not satisfied the "discounts other explanations to the point where it would be perverse to withhold assent" criterion, either ;) )
By nickoftime Date 2014-02-11 21:04
I think there's plenty to be going on with, as outlined here: http://arxiv.org/pdf/0910.4297.pdf
By Jade Annand Date 2014-02-27 06:50
Thanks for the link, Nick :)

The superluminal motion explanations in particular still stick in my craw a bit, as does the lack of light curve phenomena in QSOs versus supernovae - it might be a little harder to gauge, but that makes a big difference to the acceleration/no-acceleration scenario choice.

(It's weird how much of the underpinning of an accelerating universe depends so much on just one phenomenon.)

Cheers :)

-- Ritchie
Previous Next Up Topic Cosmology / Alternative Cosmology / Arp (3380 hits)