Nimblebrain Forums - Not logged in
Forum Help Search Chat Register Login
Previous Next Up Topic Cosmology / Alternative Cosmology / Russell: Hubble Constant from K-TFR (4016 hits)
By Ari Jokimäki Date 2008-12-10 10:16
Our forum member, David Russell, has published a new paper in astro-ph:

The Ks-band Tully-Fisher Relation - A Determination of the Hubble Parameter from 218 ScI Galaxies and 16 Galaxy Clusters

It is a fine piece of work, and appears to be done very, very carefully. See how Dave "wipes the floor" with Hubble Key Project. ;)
By David Russell Date 2008-12-12 16:42
Thanks for letting me know you linked to it here Ari.   I'll be glad to answer questions if anyone has any.   Dave
By lyndonashmore Date 2008-12-12 18:43
So, what difference will it make to the models of the universe if H = 83 rather than 72 or 64?
By David Russell Date 2008-12-12 22:29
It depends upon the model.   I discuss in the paper (section 6) the implications for lamda-CDM cosmology - and its not good.   H0=84 cannot be reconciled with the observed ages of the oldest stars, observed matter density of galaxy clusters in a lamda CDM model.   If you keep the matter density at 0.27 of omega, then the universe is younger than the oldest stars.  If you increase the age of the universe by lowering the matter density and increasing the DE density, then the matter density is inconsistent with the observed matter density.

As for other models, I don't know.   Does it impact your model in any way? 
By Ari Jokimäki Date 2008-12-13 10:36
There's one thing I missed, there's no table or list of the selected 218 ScI galaxies. Are you planning to include that to the official publication, or at all?
By David Russell Date 2008-12-13 15:25
I didn't include it in the submitted paper.   The tables with the 218 ScI's and the ~150 accepted cluster galaxies are available upon request.  I did not include the rejected galaxies on the tables because there are too many.
Previous Next Up Topic Cosmology / Alternative Cosmology / Russell: Hubble Constant from K-TFR (4016 hits)