Nimblebrain Forums - Not logged in
Forum Help Search Chat Register Login
Previous Next Up Topic Cosmology / Alternative Cosmology / Spiral Arms Around Hot Stars (2117 hits)
By Mike Petersen Date 2008-12-18 14:12 Edited 2008-12-18 18:29
Here is an interesting article from Physorg.com: Spiral Arms Around Hot Stars

Towards the end of the article they state:
Future research by the team will establish firm links between the physics of the atmospheres and environments of the most massive stars in the Galaxy.

Now, I'm wondering if some enterprising galactic astrophysicist has said to himself, "Hmm...if this is true for hot stars, might the same physics hold for galactic spiral arms?"

Of course, it isn't established that there is any similarity between hot star spirals and galactic spirals, but wouldn't it be fascinating to investigate the possibility?

- Mike Petersen
By Jade Annand Date 2008-12-21 07:53
Mike said:

Now, I'm wondering if some enterprising galactic astrophysicist has said to himself, "Hmm...if this is true for hot stars, might the same physics hold for galactic spiral arms?"

Of course, it isn't established that there is any similarity between hot star spirals and galactic spirals, but wouldn't it be fascinating to investigate the possibility?

I must admit I haven't been keeping abreast of hypotheses of galaxy and arm formation.

Lin and Shu's old spiral density waves still seem to be popular today. It does not look at first blush to be of a compatible nature with the sort of spiral gas/plasma ejection out of stars.

We have got to see the interiors of galaxies better.
Previous Next Up Topic Cosmology / Alternative Cosmology / Spiral Arms Around Hot Stars (2117 hits)