Nimblebrain Forums - Not logged in
Forum Help Search Chat Register Login
Previous Next Up Topic Cosmology / Alternative Cosmology / If God put a star in the sky to guide the wise men how far i (1850 hits)
By lyndonashmore Date 2008-12-26 21:13
Happy winter solstice to one and all.
Just thinking, in the biblical version of the Birth of christ, we are told that a star was put into the sky to lead the wise men to the manger.
But, since the nearest star is about 4 light years away, how long in advance do we reckon this star must have been placed so that it magically appeared in time to guide the three wise men to the birth?
How much pre planning was involved.
just a christmas thought.
enjoy
Lyndon
By Mike Petersen Date 2008-12-27 16:16
I recall recently seeing a Discovery channel-type TV show on this.  Some astronomer (don't recall who) said that Jesus must have been born in June.  He figured this out by running the sky "backwards" to the year zero in order to figure out what objects in the sky were going to be bright enough at that time to attract the Magi.  Turns out the only time that happened was in June, and of course the evidence was questionable even for that month.  I don't remember much more than that.

Happy New Year.

- Mike Petersen
Previous Next Up Topic Cosmology / Alternative Cosmology / If God put a star in the sky to guide the wise men how far i (1850 hits)