Nimblebrain Forums - Not logged in
Forum Help Search Chat Register Login
Previous Next Up Topic Cosmology / Alternative Cosmology / MOND versus GR (2032 hits)
By Jade Annand Date 2009-03-26 04:05
It was going through my mind the other day that if MOND turns out to be 'true' in a fundamental sense, then it cannot be completely compatible with GR. The equivalence principle has bothered me for a long time - it makes gravity stick out like a sore thumb and introduces perfect geometries, singularities and background dependence into a quantum universe.

It was nice to have such a thought confirmed on the University of Maryland MOND pages:

Q: What about the Equivalence Principle?
A: The inertia interpretation of MOND breaks the symmetry of the equivalence of gravitational and inertial mass, which is one of the foundations of GR. This makes it especially challenging to come up with a relativistic theory. Experimenters have long searched for violations of the equivalence without success, so it seems inviolable. However, these experiments are all performed in acceleration fields eleven orders of magnitude greater than the acceleration scale of MOND. Accelerations are not relative....

What do you folks think of MOND and General Relativity?
By Ari Jokimäki Date 2009-03-27 09:20
Well, I think of them that at some point I should learn more about them. GR I know at very basic level, but MOND I don't know at all. :)
Previous Next Up Topic Cosmology / Alternative Cosmology / MOND versus GR (2032 hits)