Nimblebrain Forums - Not logged in
Forum Help Search Chat Register Login
Previous Next Up Topic Cosmology / Alternative Cosmology / Looking at our own SMBH, Sagittarius A* (1386 hits)
By Jade Annand Date 2009-05-21 18:57
Landed in my e-mail this morning, a link to a New Scientist article here, talking about astronomers trying to chain together microwave telescopes to see what's going on in the center of the galaxy.

I'm pretty intrigued, myself; I thought we were a lot further away from being able to observe anything to do with the center of the galaxy.

These observations will also be the sternest test yet of Einstein's general theory of relativity, which predicts the existence of black holes. If relativity breaks down, Doeleman and his team might not see a black hole at all, but something even stranger.

I'm not sure how well we would be able to tell the difference between a black hole and one of, say, Fred Hoyle's near-black holes, but I just want to know what's going on there at the center. I daresay that's one of the most important questions in astronomy today, in part because we are having difficulties these days explaining how galaxies stay together, never mind form arms, eject matter or eject quasars.
Previous Next Up Topic Cosmology / Alternative Cosmology / Looking at our own SMBH, Sagittarius A* (1386 hits)