Nimblebrain Forums - Not logged in
Forum Help Search Chat Register Login
Previous Next Up Topic Cosmology / Alternative Cosmology / Gravity as an Emergent Force Due to Entropy (1999 hits)
By Mike Petersen Date 2013-03-27 20:50
Hey, All...

Been reading up on Erik Verlinde's theory, and I find it interesting.  I think he may be on to something.  However, his theory is only a couple years "old" now, and I have not heard anything about it in any of the popular TV science shows, and very little online.

It seems to be a direct result of the holographic theory of black holes, etc.

Anybody have the latest skinny on this?
By Jade Annand Date 2013-04-01 14:31 Edited 2013-04-01 14:59
Is that his "Gravity Doesn't Exist" stuff, which isn't as outlandish as the title describes?

In some ways, it just sounds like another variation on the dark matter/dark energy relationship:

Verlinde said:

"If you think that something grows, like our universe, than something else must become smaller," he observes."I think there’s something we haven’t found yet and this will help us discover the origins of our universe. In short, the universe originated from something, not from nothing. There was something there and we have to find the equations. It has something to do with dark energy and how that is related to dark matter..."

Is this any different from his earlier entropic gravity stuff?
Previous Next Up Topic Cosmology / Alternative Cosmology / Gravity as an Emergent Force Due to Entropy (1999 hits)