Nimblebrain Forums - Not logged in
Forum Help Search Chat Register Login
Previous Next Up Topic Cosmology / Alternative Cosmology / The Best Explanation of Hawking's Recent Black Hole Claim (3961 hits)
By Mike Petersen Date 2014-02-02 11:13
Here is the best discussion of Hawking's recent black hole claim:

Yes, Virginia, Black Holes Exist

I hope you find it as illuminating as I did.
By Jade Annand Date 2014-02-07 07:17
Mike - that link seems to lead to a discussion of whether or not chess is infinite.

Did you mean this?
By Jade Annand Date 2014-02-07 07:24
That's a pretty interesting article. So, it's been proved in a paper that:

The article said:

...all three of the following cannot be simultaneously true:

* Hawking radiation is in a pure state.
* The information carried by the radiation is emitted from the region near the horizon, with low energy effective field theory valid beyond some microscopic distance from the horizon.
* The infalling observer encounters nothing unusual at the horizon.

Hawking threw out # 2, but a few more papers by less famous authors throw out # 1 instead, 'rescuing' the notion of an event horizon and thus providing an alternative to "There are no black holes".
By Mike Petersen Date 2014-02-07 11:55
oooops!  

Sorry about that.  You are correct.  I had copy/pasted the other link to someone earlier in an email while indeed discussing chess.  I thought I had done a "Control-C" on the other link, but obviously did not check too closely.

At any rate, I hope you found that other article interesting.  :/
By Mike Petersen Date 2014-02-10 14:16
And now another paper (not yet peer reviewed) has arisen concerning Hawking's recent black hole claim.  It may be nothing, but I found it interesting nonetheless.

Planck Star to Arise from Black Holes
Previous Next Up Topic Cosmology / Alternative Cosmology / The Best Explanation of Hawking's Recent Black Hole Claim (3961 hits)